Saturday, July 26, 2008

Worldwide Miniatures Club

Didn't I say I've been painting some extremely small miniatures these days?? I was contacted several weeks ago by a very nice lady, Joy, from Australia, who found me through my ETSY shop. She is part of a worldwide miniatures club on Yahoo and as the name states, they have members all over the globe.

Joy asked if I would be willing to paint some very small mini's for her club and because I like a challenge and was quite intrigued, I said I would do some work for her.

If I ever thought that eggart was small and hard to work with, I think I have rethought that notion. The spools are a bit difficult to hold and because of the way they curve, a challenging surface to paint on.

The thimbles however, are the biggest challenge because they are just, in a couple of words, super tiny!!! I actually ended up painting the thimbles by sticking them over one of my fingers(after all, that is what they were meant to do) and that made creating the design a bit easier then trying to just hold them in my hand.

So these little ones have been shipped to Australia already and are probably, by now, on their way to their new homes around the world. I will be doing some ongoing work for this club so I'll have more photos to show of new mini's as they are completed.

17 comments:

Charm and Grace said...

What a fun post... I was just commenting yesterday to a friend how I had seen someone painting on something tiny and round (a Christmas ornament) and how difficult that must be. Then you go and paint on a THIMBLE!!?? Those are beautiful... how did you get that detail into the pansy? and your whole name on the rim? and the spools, too? These are just wonderful!

Blessings,
Christi

Marilyn said...

Wow, Ruth....I'm impressed! It would be a challenge for my eyes alone trying to paint such detailed flowers. Pretty, pretty, as always.

Mary said...

You do am AMAZING job on those tiny thimbles. I used to china paint and it's hard to get that kind of detail so small.

Anonymous said...

Love them! There you go again, my international artist friend! :) Kathryn

Archie and Melissa said...

wow ruth!
your mini's are amazing. you are so talented!
will you be making these for your etsy shop? if you do, please let me know!
xo
melissa

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

These are beautiful, so dainty and delightful.
Did they mention what they were to be used for? They'd be perfect little fairy seats hidden in the garden!
My first visit here and it is lovely.
Susan

NeereAnDear said...

OMG Ruth these are stunning!! no matter how small the work is beautiful.... I love it... what a fun and exciting challenge for you and you definitely pulled it all together

HUGS AND LOVE

JO

Catherine Holman said...

How exciting for you! They are beautiful little works of art!
Hugs,
Cathie

Donna said...

Oh my gosh, I love them! They are all so wonderful.

It's very exciting and I'm happy for you. You are a very talented lady.

Hugs,
Donna

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, Ruth!! I can't imagine painting anything so small as a thimble!

Thanks for all your lovely comments and visits to my blog ... your encouragement means so much.

xo,
Lynda

Gail McCormack said...

These are just beautiful Ruth, I'm not good with small paintings, they certainly require lots of skill and patience, which you must have!

Catherine said...

Miniture indeed Ruth!! But as beautiful as anything big you've painted..they are charming! Great idea! I'm no painter, but it must be difficult to paint so small and on rounded items..?! You are so talented and creative!

Thanks for visiting me often and your lovely comments!

How is your garden growing..:D
Cat

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Oh wow Ruth, they are gorgeous! I'm into miniatures too(12:1)such as dollshouses and furniture and dollies etc.

You must have used some very fines brushes this time!

Mosaic*Queen said...

Ruth!
Your mini's are fantastic!!! You did a beautiful job!!!!!!!
I hope this new little venture expands your business!!!!
Hugs to you!!!

Michelle

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Ruth, your mini's are gorgeous. I love the thimbles and can so relate to this work as I designed minatures for a company in the midwest for 5 years. It can be as much work as the bigger pieces.
You did a great job. Lovely.
hugs, Celestina
la rea rose

Suzanne said...

Oh Ruth! I might have had to break down and buy bifocals to paint these! You did a beautiful job on both the spools and the thimbles! That is funny that you put the thimble on your finger in order to paint it....someone coming along while you painted might have thought you were painting your finger!

Paula B. said...

Oh my....these are exquisite. I am not a miniature collector, but if ever I was tempted, it is now!