Friday, April 22, 2011

Awakening - Swallowtail Butterfly & Lilac Acrylic Triptych

A new painting just flew out of my studio this week.... "Awakening"- a swallowtail butterfly triptych. This piece and a few others will be flying off to Celebrations Gallery next week . http://www.celebrationsshoppes.com/ .


I really got the bug to paint some lilacs a couple of weeks ago and felt that a swallowtail would be the focal point of this painting should I decide to put my ideas on canvas.


I always have lots of ideas for paintings floating around my brain, some come to fruition while others seem to fade off as nothing becomes of them, while more still, get filed away on the back burner for another time.

With this particular piece, I didn't think about it all that much, I got the idea and decided to run with it. I wanted to use black as a background because I knew it would be very striking with the subject matter. All that remained was for me to play around with the orientation of different sized canvases to see which sizes and configurations I wanted to use.


Displayed with a 1/4" between each panel, this piece measures a total of 16" h x 16" w. Each panel is a 1 1/2" deep gallery canvas. The top piece being 8" x 8" and the smaller canvases measuring 6" h x 4"w.



I hope this brings a little springtime cheer into your day.

13 comments:

Lulu Grey said...

Wow! Those are so pretty. I love the way you did the lilacs. So delicate, I can almost smell them.

Archie and Melissa said...

hi ruth!
i cannot think of a better way to celebrate earth day than the admire your gorgeous painting!

xoxoxox
a & m

Heather said...

Awesome! The black is a great background for the purple and yellow!

The Painted Garden said...

Hi Ruth,
This is one of my favorite paintings - beautiful - just beautiful.
Wishing you and your family Happy Easter.
Blessings,
Erin

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The colors are delightful! Very beautiful detail on the butterfly! ♥ Enjoy your weekend! ♥

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Ruth,
Oh this is just stunning. I love the black background. It just makes everything pop off the canvas like they are real flower and gorgeous butterfly.
I bet you are enjoying creating for the gallery.
Enjoyed your post of the New York Botanical Garden too. Lots of inspiration there.
Have a wonderful Easter weekend.
Thank you for stopping by.

Hugs, Celestina Marie

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Ruth
Beautiful Work! That butterfly looks like it's about to fly out of the painting - it looks so real!

Gail xx

Naturegirl said...

Ruth you never cease to amaze me with your many talents!Just wonderful!
It's been some time since I stopped by..somehow we lost touch.
Happy Easter!
I think of you each tome I open my "rose box" hugs Anna

NeereAnDear said...

Striking !!!

What I truly love about this besides the black background with the amazing colors of the lilacs ... .. is how three dimensional the butterfly looks ..... its like it just landed there .... before ready to take flight again ...

LOTS OF HUGS
JO

Catherine Holman said...

Love this one Ruth! Great contrast between colors!

Donna said...

It's gorgeous, Ruth! Love the colors you used.

Linda O'Neill said...

Beautiful, Ruth! The yellow against the purple of the lilacs is gorgeous!

Miss Val's Creations said...

This is so beautiful Ruth! I love the assymetry of the pieces. The dark background is perfect. ~Val