Sunday, July 08, 2012

Bits & Pieces


I'm coming into home stretch with my new painting.  This weekend I'm putting the finishing touches on it and going over all the areas with a fine tooth comb to see that everything is just the way I want it to be before I call it complete....


I won't show the painting in it's entirety until it is completely finished but at least you can see the happy bluebirds painted on their garden perches for now.


This little guy had to be totally reworked from what I had originally designed as his size wasn't quite right.  After a bit of a make-over though, he came out looking just the way I wanted.


Yes, sand dollar pendants are back in my ETSY shop.  I had originally thought months ago that I was finished creating them but I find, I missed painting them very much so I decided to start offering them again.  I did however put a few rules into play so that I would continue to enjoy working on these ocean pendants.....  First of all, sand dollars were my favorite, the surface really speaks to me as a fun, creative and just plain great blank canvas to work on in miniature so, I will not be bringing any puzzle, glass or wood pendants back to life, just the ones I love the most, the sand dollars.


Second and most important of the two rules to pendant painting happiness, no custom orders .  Custom orders are only available with canvas art, not pendants.  Unfortunately, offering that kind of work on my sand dollar pendants sucked the joy right from the air when I had to create them and that equals (=) no fun anymore.  I'm stocking my ETSY shop with whatever tickles my fancy in the sand dollar department.  What I will have at any given time is a mystery and I will paint new pieces every once in a while, when the spirit moves me, which equals (=) keeping the fun in my miniature art.

7 comments:

Memories for Life said...

It's so fun watching your paintings come to life! The little details add so much to a finished piece!
Glad to hear you're making your sand dollars again...and having fun with them :)

SibStudio said...

I love the blues and purples in your new painting. Can't wait to see the finished work!
I've had a similar experience with custom orders. It's unfortunate, but sometimes you just can't paint the same thing any more. Enjoy the fun of painting what moves you. :)

The Painted Garden said...

Hi Ruth,
Your birdhouse painting is really coming to life - love the changes you made. Glad to hear you are painting your pendants for fun and joy - that is the way art should be.
Have a wonderful day.
Blessings,
Erin

Stela said...

Your new painting is looking great!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Your bluebirds are so sweet Ruth! They make me smile! I love these sand dollar pendants. What a unique natural item to create pendants with. Good planning not doing custom orders here. It is no fun when a project feels forced rather than creative!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Ruth, Your new painting is coming along gorgeous as only you can do. So vibrant and full of joy.

Love the return of your sand dollar pendants. They are lovely as I know for still enjoying mine from your talented hands.
I can so relate to customs. I take as little as possible these days. Still do a few now and then, but they are just not fun and I find bring me too much stress. So on with the fun stuff and who knows what comes of that creativity.
Have a great week my friend and Happy Creating.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

NeereAnDear said...

Ruth ! I love this post and the one below showing the steps you take to make such a fascinating painting ... I know this will be gorgeous when done ... its already amazing and its not even completed ... your style is exciting and puts a smile on my face when I see the colors and work you have done ...

Happy to see you are bringing back your pendants .. as for custom work ... I dont blame you ... its quite difficult because the vision you have and the customer has ..often times are two different things ... a problem I am having with my darling daughter right now with the one I am doing for her ... kids lol ... loving your work my friend !!
HUGS ~ JO