Sunday, March 03, 2013

"Branching Out" Abstract Triptych Treescape


"Branching Out" is the newest treescape triptych to make it out of my studio, recently sprayed with a protective matt finish and currently drying in my basement. 


I wanted to do a multi-canvas painting and knew that I had something in mind that was really contemporary and abstract but I also wanted lots of texture, so I decided on a triptych treescape.


First I always play around with different shapes and sizes of canvas, orienting them different ways to try and decide how I want to lay out the painting.  Once that portion of the process is decided upon, I can than go ahead and make my sketch.


While I'm creating a sketch, I also start on my background which can take a couple of days for a painting this size as there are layers or color applied that must dry before others are added.  A heavy application of stucco gives the tree branches really thick texture.

 
The finished panels are placed together for the last time, just to make sure everything looks just right and the completed painting has emerged.



5 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Ruth, this piece is stunning. I love the layers of texture and the colors are perfect. Looks like springtime about to pop. I always enjoy reading about the process you take to accomplish each masterpiece. You are an outstanding talent my friend.

Thanks for stopping by and your sweet comments and birthday wishes.
Have a wonderful afternoon and great week ahead.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

ArtSings1946 said...

Hi Ruth ! I've been away from the blogs for a bit and I don't really plan to be back in full force anymore. I will be checking in now and then but not as much. Lots of yucky stuff happening here in our house .... five years old and it's falling apart. I have to figure out how to get a lawyer and sue the builder, but I don't think you can win anything here in Florida against the big guys even if they did put up the showers without a barrier for water and also it just wasn't up to code. Don't know how we are going to fix it as we are out of money ... but I just keep trying to think positive and that somehow things will work out. Whew, didn't mean to go on so. Just love your new work. The weather has been beautiful here, actually cool for a change in the low 60's. I don't miss the snow but so would like to move back home.

Love always,
Jan

Miss Val's Creations said...

Hi Ruth,
This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the purple and yellow together.

Our weather has been on the warm side which is a beautiful thing! I can't wait for the changing of the clocks!!!
Have a great week ahead.
Val

Memories for Life said...

I love the black tree against the pretty pastels!

Anonymous said...

Love the staggered layout! This piece really stands out.