Monday, May 14, 2007

Back To The Garden Center & Painting A Hummingbird

Today I went back to the nursery I love to shop at, actually, I visited 2 garden centers that I love. Chris and I made an afternoon of it, he went with me and we had lunch, dessert and yes, my extra hot vanilla chai latte with spices as well. Then we went shopping for some more flowers for my summer pots.

I bought some more Geraniums as well as Potato Vines to put in my hanging and large standing pots. I think the Potato Vines I bought last time, that I've already potted, have been growing longer and longer. They look very pretty potted with the Geraniums. I also bought Dahlias this year and I'm very excited about adding those to my potted collection. After talking last year with a lady up the street who loves her Dahlias, I decided to get some for myself. It was a tough decision let me tell you because there was a whole huge greenhouse filled with nothing but all different color and varieties of Dahlias. In the end, I settled on 3 I really liked, a red, a pink and a pinky/peach with yellow. They were all so beautiful, it was hard to decide.

Well, aside from buying plants, I have been painting as well. I painted the above miniature the other day after I saw a hummingbird right outside my kitchen window, he was flying around by my hanging Geranium pots. I was so inspired by this little guy, I got busy painting right away and the above is my own version. Now that planting season is here, I'll be mixing art and flowers a lot more in my posts. They are both interconnected for me anyway so I'll be able to show a lot of inspiration pieces.
The Dahlia is a flower that I haven't painted yet so, I hope to take care of that this summer by creating my first watercolor Dahlias.

6 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Hello Ruth, such beautiful pictures to enjoy on your blog once more. The miniature you painted is exquisite.

Merci-Notes said...

Hi Ruth,
I am glad you stopped by and that you liked the blog. I make alot of mistakes but is is fun. Your mini paintings are beautiful! (I peeked at earlier posts, hehe). The Dahlias will be fun to see too!!
With Kindness,
Mary

Betty Jo said...

What gorgeous flower photos! I adore your little hummingbird too. xoxo

The Feathered Nest said...

Hello Ruth,
Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog. Your blog is beautiful! Your flowers are beautiful as well as your painting. You can tell you love spring and all the wonderful things that come with it! Thank you so much for visiting and I'll be sure to visit again! Take care, Dawn

Anonymous said...

Dear Ruth,
Your little hummingbird necklace is fantastic, as all your work is. But this one is very special indeed! The Dahlias are beautiful. I love those flowers. I never had them in my garden, till last year. A friendly man gave them to me and they bloomed all summer and I pruned flowers from them all season long. They are very strong as well. You've bought some beautiful varieties. Can't wait to see your paintings!! Keep up your wonderful works. You are so talented!!

Hugs and greetings from the Netherlands,
Ingeborg

Maggie said...

Beautiful flower photo's !!! Love your hummingbird painting. Wish I knew how to paint like that. I have been seriously thinking of taking water color classes. Just have not found where I could do that yet.