Monday, May 07, 2007

My Favorite Summer Annual

By far, my favorite summer annuals are Geraniums. I buy quite a lot of them each year and put them in planters lining my back porch and stairs. They make such a great show with their beautiful, colorful, sturdy blooms. The above is a Geranium plaque I made last year. I had to refer to all my photos to get it completed just the way I wanted.

I just made my first Geranium buying trip last week and I managed to get 8 large pots filled with a variety of pink, red, white and peach flowers. Notice I said first trip because...I have two more trips to make to the nursery. I try to spread them out so the damage to my credit card gets spread out as well. I'll be making another trip for more Geraniums and some other flowers, again next week.
I go to a gardening center that is about 40 mins away from where I live. Reason being, that I love there selection of Geraniums. It doesn't hurt that this town has the best chai lattes known to man so, no matter how hot it is outside, I stop in and get a chai on my way home. Large, extra hot, with spices on top.

I Miracle Grow my potted plants once a week, from the time I plant them, until the end of the season. I've read lots of different theories on this , whether you should or you shouldn't but I firmly believe in Miracle Grow. I use it for my perennial garden to, just not once a week. But for annuals, I don't know, summer is so short and hey, I like my flowers big. I've found it gives me the biggest and longest blooming flowers so, it is well worth the little extra effort.


7 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Beautiful pictures, Ruth! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow Ruth, the plague is absolutely stunning! So beautiful! I keep saying it over and over again, you are an amazing talent and I love every singel peace of art you make. Cool that you have access to geraniums too. I love them as well very much. It was so warm this winter in Holland that the ones I bought last year start blooming again this year. They have been outside all winter long. Normally they can't here, but this winter it simply was so warm that they could survive. I love the last pink one you showed, so gorgeous!
Happy gardening :-))

hugs
Ingeborg

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Hi Ruth,

I saw your comment on the paintings of my Sister.... She is A great Artist.... Thanks, I have been meaning to tell you that I believe one of My Orchids, is sending out a branch that will eventually flower!!!!! I am so excited, this is an orchid that I rescued from my Aunt... It is now doing beautifully! I will have to send a pic, when it does bloom, but of course this shot is only about 3" long at this time.... it is so different looking then the air roots. so I am Hoping!
cheryl

Naturegirl said...

I love your choice of geranium color..my choice too! I love to use the ivy geraniums for the cascading hangers and of course Miracle Grow!!!Happy gardening!
hugs NG

Clare and Mike said...

Your geranium plaque really is beautiful! I too love geraniums and we bought several tray fulls at the weekend when we visited a flea market and a garage sale in a local village. All we have to do now is pot them up and fill the porch with them!

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Oh I LOVE geraniums! And yes, I've found Miracle Grow does WONDERS on them! They are one of the only plants I can keep outside that aren't bothered by our resident nightly critters!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Great pics! And I am really loving your miniatures Ruth!