Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Orchids In Bloom & New Miniatures

I wanted to post some photos of two of my Phaleanopsis Orchids that are currently in bloom.

This one is such a beauty, it sits on the side of my house, just inside one of my sunroom windows. "Kaleidoscope" has been blooming for 2 months now.

Since my move is next week, I haven't had any time to really paint anything at all, including orders. I've been spending my time moving my garden up the street and then most recently, trying to get the inside of our new house painted before any furniture gets there. I did make some time for some recreation painting for myself and painted 2 new miniatures. Well, I was at the garden center again a couple of weeks back and saw a table full of African Violets. I've decided to buy some to go on my diningroom windowsill. Seeing them at the garden center inspired me to paint the African Violet pin above. As always, the background is done in watercolor and the African Violets are painted in acrylic.

With this little pin I tried something different, I created the background using a thicker application of watercolor. I attached little porcelain roses and pearls . I had thought about painting a design around the edges but I felt it stood on its own without that. Both are available on my ETSY site.... http://www.eleganteggart.etsy.com/

This beautiful Phaleanopsis sits on my work desk and has also been in bloom for 2 months now. Pretty soon the last flower will be falling off.



4 comments:

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Soooo pretty Ruth! Both the flowers and your sweet brooches!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ruth,
Your miniatures are again so gorgeous, especially the african violet, so beautiful! Yes and your orchids are fantastic too! I've never had a real one in my home, only fake ones LOL as i'm afraid to drown them ;-)

Blessings,
Ingeborg

Cape Cod Washashore said...

The orchids are amazing, only topped by your beautiful artwork!

Rabbit Hill Creations said...

Oh my gosh Ruth...I'm adding you to my link!...I am so drawn to your green egg!...it's absolutely stunning! Toni