Saturday, January 12, 2008

In The Spotlight

This month Melissa Michaels from the Inspired Room, has stopped by to be my "In The Spotlight" artist. Melissa is an interior design consultant and an accomplished writer. The first time I discovered her blog, I remember thinking I had stumbled onto a new HGTV show. I hope you enjoy learning a little bit about her and her business and that you will stop by her, beautiful and inspiring blog.

I am so humbled that Ruth selected me to be her featured guest this month. I am pleased to be able to share a little bit about what I do, because it is something I am passionate about. Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved houses. Not every house had the power to charm me, but the ones that did pulled me in and enchanted me. It didn’t matter if they were large and castle-like, small and cozy, or a seemingly ordinary rambler -- certain homes radiated something special. As I grew up, I started to realize what they all had in common. I was drawn to homes that reflected the joy and life of the people who lived there. Those homes wrapped you up like a big hug when you walked through the door. You wanted to stay awhile in houses like that.
Being an interior design consultant for my own business, The Inspired Room, is a dream come true for me. It has allowed me the opportunity to help other people achieve something in their home that they sense is missing. Whether it is helping someone find a personal decorating style, a comfortable furniture arrangement or giving advice on accessories, it has been really satisfying to be a part of the process of creating homes. I enjoy seeing people start to love their surroundings.
This past summer I started a blog designed to be a place for me to share bits and pieces about my business. I didn’t expect it to end up having a life of its own! It has been a whirlwind of activity and fun I never imagined it could be. My blog is not only another creative outlet for me, but it is a means by which I am able to connect with like-minded people. I have a tremendous group of wonderful readers and blog writers in their own right that never cease to amaze me by their support, talent, inspiration and encouragement. I love getting to know them!
A few months ago I was asked by the editor of Christian Women Online Magazine to write a monthly column. I was taken aback at the thought because I didn’t consider myself a writer! But it has been really exciting to have another avenue to encourage women by using the passion I have for the home. I now write on topics for their magazine covering topics such as decorating, homemaking and lifestyle.
Between my life as a mom to three children, a wife to my husband and my careers in decorating and writing, I am a busy woman! But I feel really fortunate to be where I fit best. It may sound cliché, but getting paid to do what I love makes all the time and effort worthwhile.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to share a little bit about what I do!
I hope you've enjoyed meeting Melissa and getting to know her a little better. Be sure to stop by her website: http://www.theinspiredroom.com/ and visit her blog at: http://www.theinspiredroom.wordpress.com/
All photos are used with permission by and are copyright to, Melissa Michaels, The Inspired Room.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth,

A lovely post, hope you are well and wanted to say your store is looking gorgeous, you have filled it with beautiful creations.

So nice you chose The Inspired Room, we are so fortunate to know Melissa, she is truly a lovely lady, one of the best :)

We wonder how is the weather in NYC? Have lovely weekend Ruth!

Jenn and Jacqui

Ruth Welter said...

Hey there Jenn & Jacqui, funny timing you have, I just signed your blog too. : )

I'm glad you enjoyed the segment on Melissa..I love her style, I'm on her blog all the time.

The weather here in NY is actually really nice, around 50 degrees today. For January, you cannot beat it.

Thanks for the compliments on my site, I've got some news on that in my next post, big changes in the upcoming months on my website. I'll keep you posted.

Mosaic*Queen said...

Thanks for sharing Ruth!! I'll pay her a visit!
Hugs!
Michelle

Gail McCormack said...

Oh no Ruth I think you may have addicted me to yet another blog (Melissa's), I love Melissa's style. You must be very proud to have achieved so much, you are so talented in so many ways, all so true in what you said about blogging, I would never have dreamt of meeting the people I now have through blogging. Thanks for a lovely post Ruth

Ruth Welter said...

Ah, you cannot blame me Michelle and Gail, for getting you addicted to a new blog...Melissa's blog is like that, very addictive. I'm there visiting all the time, I love her posts and to me, it really is like reading an HGTV show. ENJOY!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth! I've enjoyed this little spot focussing on Melissa! I just love her blog and like you, try to visit her daily. Thanks so much! ~ Lynda xo

NeereAnDear said...

Ruth... an excellent post... Melissa is one of my favorites too.. she has a beautiful sense of style and writing... and her blog is just so full of inspiration at every corner... she pulls you in just like those rooms do her...

Kudos to you for a fantastic featured guest

HUGS

JO

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Ruth!
Wonderful feature on Melissa! She is one of my favorites for sure! I have enjoyed reading this post. I am off to check out your website...
Hugs,
Penny
p.s. I am having a giveaway, so stop by if you haven't already and sign up!

Suzanne said...

Ruth, thanks for sharing Melissa's creative talents with us. I've never visited her blog, I'll have to go take a peek!

david mcmahon said...

What a great concept for a post.

Ruth Welter said...

Thanks Ladies and Gents, glad you enjoyed Melissa's feature.

The Old Painted Cottage said...

What an incredible post, and so very inspiring. I absolutely adore Melissa's blog.

oxox
Jennifer

Barbara Jacksier said...

I'm a big fan of Melissa's blog, I agree it reminds me of a wonderful episode on HGTV. I'm so glad you've featured her.
barbara