Here is what I started out with....some lovely rose photos that I took in my garden a few years back.
I never know what photos I will use or if I will use them, but it pays to save them all because then when inspiration hits, I'm ready. I decided to make this a pink rose, hence the color change.
I'm a huge fan of Georgia O'keeffe, I've fallen in love with her style and the beauty of all her floral works. Her work really inspired me for this painting and my Red Dahlia watercolor, which can be seen in the watercolor category to the right.
These of course, are just the beginning stages of the design. There really are so many steps and decisions to make along the way, that if I listed them all, we would be here forever reading this post.
I've got a lot more of the colors finished in this shot but still a lot more to do. This is when I really start seeing things take shape though, and the subject gets very exciting, it is starting to come to life.
A close up of the finished center of the rose. I ended up redefining and sharpening the edges and colors in areas that I thought needed it. When it was all finished, I had Chris spray it with a protective coating....it can now be hung on the wall as is, with the hook on the back, or put right into a standard frame.
I'll have to have my favorite webmaster put it up on my website this week. I'm glad I was motivated to pick it up again and finish it.
Last but certainly not least, you may have noticed my beautiful new blog. For this I can thank Sara over at Sadie Olive Design. She did such a beautiful job for me and was so professional and easy to deal with that she made this blog redesign a very pleasant experience. Be sure to check out all of her beautiful designs at: http://www.sadieolive.com/ .