Friday, August 22, 2008

Tea & Roses Gothic Vintage Ceiling Tin

I just finished a new ceiling tin the other day, "Tea & Roses" done on a beautiful old gothic ceiling tin. I have found a few of these beauties and I snatched them right up when I saw them. I'm always keeping my eye out for new tins that will be a beautiful canvas to a new painting. This particular tin is 13 3/4" x 9 1/2".

The tin itself was in beautiful condition and all I had to do before I started painting, was apply a layer of acrylic gesso.

This one called out to me to have a teacup design painted on it so that is exactly what I went for. Each ceiling tin I come across is so different in style, design and architectual interest that no matter what I think I plan on doing, I do let the tin design dictate to me how I should proceed.

Sometimes I change my plans before I even start to paint, as I sit and think about the tin more and more. Other times I change directions while I'm painting or atleast, keep my options open to add something later if I need too. The cup is rimmed in gold and I decided I wanted some sweet little washy roses on the the cup along with some gold accent dots, to create a nice elegant teacup. Underneath the cup, resting on the table, is a piece of vintage lace.

I really wanted a butterfly to rest on the rim of the cup also....maybe the tea drinker is outside, having a tea party and this little butterfly happened to come along....who knows.

Of course framing the piece and adding to what makes this tin special, are the cascading roses, leaves and vines coming from the top and the sides.

In the end, I hope it is a piece that a tea lover as well as a lover of roses will appreciate. I will soon be listing this piece to my ETSY shop and also my website: http://www.artfulcreations.etsy.com/ .

16 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

hi ruth!
your new tin is beautiful! i love how each tin is a treasure when you find it. you immediately appreciate it and bring it home as a new canvas of possibilities. then because you are such a special person and artist, you listen and let the canvas speak to you. i love your work ruth. it is very special as are you.
have a wonderful weekend!
xo
m & e

Charm and Grace said...

Ruth, I love this one... it reminds me of the gothic architectural features in the church I grew up attending. And I just know that butterfly is about to take a sip of whatever yummy tea is in that cup!

:-) Christi

joey said...

A popover from Cat's ... a beautiful subject, Ruth. How wonderful to be blessed with such talent for imagery and a find hand.

NeereAnDear said...

Oh Ruth... I am starting to see a lot of whimsy in your paintings... and I LOVE IT!!... quite lovely...

I love how each one you do is chock full of little surprises...

great work as usual

HUGS

JO

Alice Regan said...

Ruth ...your ceiling tins never cease to amaze me. I adore this one ....it's right up my alley! Roses, teacups and butterflies ...simple gorgeous.

I might add too ...the puppies are adorable! What faces!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Excellent Ruth, I think this is one of your best! I am perhaps a touch biased as I like gothic architecture. ;-)

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Ruth this painting is very sweet and it fits in perfectly with fall approaching soon.

Blessings
Brook

Donna said...

Wow, Ruth! This is beautiful! I love it.

Hugs,
Donna

Gail McCormack said...

Ruth this is lovely, love the way you've tastefully added in the butterfly - very sweet.
I so wish I could find something interesting to paint on - supplies have dried up over here at the moment.

Catherine Holman said...

Hi Ruth,
I love your paintings on the ceiling tins. This one is really special!
Hugs,
Cathie

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Ruth, You have designed another gorgeous creation. I love the butterfly added to your painting. You inspire me to paint the few tins I have waiting to be finished among tons of other treasures.
I love the details of this one. Just Beautiful!
Have a great week.
Celestina
la rea rose

Suzanne said...

What a great tin! And your beautiful design fits it to a "Tea"! I think this is one of my favorites...your roses are gorgeous and the teacup is adorable!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Ruth...
That is just beautiful! I love the lace and butterfly....
Hugs,
Penny

Lynn said...

Another beauty Ruth, I am so happy that you went with the teacup, it just looks perfect, and the butterfly, well, it belongs there too. Great work!
Thank you too for the comments on my journal :)

roseroomnz.com said...

Thats pretty, I love the butterfly! Rachaelxo

Pinta said...

wonderfull!!!!
see you soon
Pinta