Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Garden Dragonfly That Sparked An Idea

I took this dragonfly photo 3 years ago when I came outside one day to find this little guy waiting for me in my garden. He was kind enough to sit still while I took this photo of him resting on one of my Iris leaves. I didn't think much of it at the time but last year in 2010, I became very inspired by this photo as I looked at it over the course of months. He didn't know it at the time but this dragonfly inspired me to create 3 paintings based on my sighting that day. The paintings really do not look at all like him, he just planted the seed that created the spark in my mind and my imagination did the rest.
This small dragonfly painting is called "Floating", featuring a large and small dragonfly team.
This piece is my favorite of the bunch for sure...."Kaleidoscope Dragonflies". With this diptych I wanted to create a painting that reminded me of looking through a kaleidoscope with all the changing colors and shapes. The dragonflies also wrap around the sides on this piece.
"Dancing Dragonflies" was the first painting to be created after I saw my garden visitor. What is the inspiration for your favorite creations, how did a spark of an idea take hold in your mind? I would love to hear how everyone else gets inspired to create what they love. www.artfulcreations.etsy.com

16 comments:

Judy Westcott said...

Beautiful art! Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

Christie Cottage said...

Lovely pieces!


Stopping by from Bloggin' Buddies on etsy

Have a great Sunday!

<><

http://christiecottage,blogpsot.com

Christie Cottage said...

Following your blog now :-)

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

Love the third one best! The neutral brown makes the dragonflies pop more while also mimicking the irridescence of the wings. Superb!

Ruth Welter said...

Thanks Everyone, & thanks Fairy Cardmaker for letting me know your favorite and why. I love hearing why different paintings speak to different people, it is pretty fascinating. I think I love the pops of color and brightness of the second painting, that perhaps speaks to me the most.

Ruth

Sheryl Hastings said...

What beautiful pictures. Nature sure does provide lots of inspiration!

nina kuriloff said...

Terrific artwork~

Catherine Holman said...

Another beauty for sure!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Ruth,
WOW I just love these pieces and the story behind your inspiration. I too love to paint dragonflys. Your works are awesome and I think I love them all. Everything you do is my favorite!!

Have a great week my friend and Happy creating always.
Hugs from Texas, Celestina Marie

Jenny said...

pretty! i love the way you make nature dance.

Melissa said...

Wonderful!

Miss Val's Creations said...

These dragonflies are gorgeous!!! They are my favorite insect! The one in the photo is unique. I am used to seeing more markings on the wings.

Thank you for the kind comment on my blog. I should clarify that Jim is not my husband, although I would love for him to be someday. We have been dating over 8 months now. :) ~Val

Donna said...

These are all so beautiful, Ruth! I especially like the "Kaleidoscope Dragonflies". Gorgeous!

Hugs,
Donna

Gail McCormack said...

Love them all Ruth, but if I had to choose a favourite I would go for the "Kaleidoscope Dragonflies"

Happy painting, Gail xx

NeereAnDear said...

Ruth wow ... all three are gorgeous ... but I am partial to the second one .. the kaleidoscope painting .... I love the colors ....but the great thing about all of them is they would work in any decor from the romantic to the contemporary ...

Love them !!

HUGS
JO

nina kuriloff said...

Your paintings of dragonflies are very spirited and lovely!