I've entitled it "Pink Passion", it just seemed to fit with the painting. Kathryn told me she wanted a custom piece to hang in her bedroom, which I hear is quite the art gallery. She left everything up to me, her only specification was that she really wanted pink roses for her wall, so, pink roses is what she will get when she receives this in the mail.
I painted this piece in acrylics and used several shades of pink, mauve, burgandy, white and all kinds of other crazy variations, to achieve the distanct colors that each rose has.
I'll take you through some of the steps involved in creating this piece below. Unfortunately, I cannot list all of them, as I would have been taking photos every 5 minutes, but I hope, it will give you the general idea of what I started with and how the painting evolved into the finished piece you see.
I photographed my available tins and Kathryn picked this one out as her favorite. It measures 12" x 12". I actually went down into the basement to take this photo and had to remove some dust before I got started taking pictures.
I sketched out the basic design one morning as I was sitting in the livingroom having my morning caffeine fix. I usually draw a lot better when I'm not at my desk, as I find that sometimes being at my desk, makes me a bit tense for this part of the project. So I was relaxing, sitting in a nice comfy chair, having tea and drawing. I also love to draw when I'm watching movies as well.
I decided to make the background a nice washy combination of lilac, pale blue and white. I got the first rose finished and then based the second one in. I also added some vague indications of background leaves. I wanted them to be very washy, and soft, just the slightest little hint that something might be back there. Doing this also really grounds the roses into the scene, rather then having them float on the colored background.
At this point I finished the second rose and began adjusting the colors on the first one again. I wasn't quite happy with the colors, they needed some work.
Finally, the finished painting....the top rose has the proper color proportions now, the second rose had some soft lilac added to a few of the petals and the bottom rose is all finished. I put some soft greenery in the background and finished the delicate leaves and VOILA, it is finished!!! Kathryn, I hope you love it!!!