Sunday, March 02, 2008

Red Red Roses Vintage Shabby Chic Ceiling Tin

My newest piece, done on an antique ceiling tin, it measures 12 x 12. I had decided I needed to paint some luscious red roses for this one.

The rose to the right is a softer red and in fact, has many shades of red spread throughout. I also wanted to make this rose have a sunny look to it so I've added pale yellow to some of the petals. I was looking through a gardening catalog at the time and there are so many shades and varieties of red roses. I think that was my inspiration for the top rose.

With the rose on the left, I wanted to create a deeper more sultry look. I again used many shades and variations of red for the base and shading colors. There is some pink in there as well and I used white to make the rose "pop".

I've also got some greenery coming up underneath the blooms and as you can see, it starts outside my painting area and goes upward. Lots of light pink and white swirls in the background, perhaps they are vague roses you cannot really see. If you look around the border of this piece, I've also heavily distressed it to give it a time worn look.

It is now available on my ETSY site: http://www.artfulcreations.etsy.com/ . I hope this piece gets your thinking about your garden. Enjoy!!!

23 comments:

NeereAnDear said...

OHHHH RUTH stunning!!! love the deep colors and your use of white to finish it... it certainly does make them pop

GORGEOUS!!

HUGS

JO

kari and kijsa said...

Lovely!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Beautiful very beautiful!
Blessings
Brook

Charm and Grace said...

I really love what you are doing with the ceiling tiles. That is so imaginitive and your roses are gorgeous. And, yes, I am thinking of my garden. I went around and inspected all the little green buds and sprouts yesterday, and I can't wait to see everything in a few weeks!

Blessings,
Christi

Suzanne said...

Gorgeous roses Ruth! I love how you've trailed the greenery.

Kathryn Bechen said...

Beautiful! Love the vibrant color! Love, Kathryn

Siobhan said...

Hi Ruth, What a stunning piece!!! Love the red in the roses.

Mosaic*Queen said...

Love the RED!!! Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!!
Hugs!
Michelle

Dorothy said...

Hi Ruth,

Your latest ceiling tins are so very pretty! You are inspiring me to find the ones I know are in my stash! Thanks for sharing your lovely work!

Donna said...

Oh so pretty! You paint the most beautiful roses Ruth.
I'm thinking gardening and roses!
Hugs,
Donna

Gail McCormack said...

Ruth your roses are beautiful, don't know about you but I find red roses quite difficult to paint, I think you've done a fantastic job with your highlights and tones
GORGEOUS!!

Ruth Welter said...

As always,thanks so much everyone, for taking the time to look.

Gail, funny you should mention that, I found this project to be quite difficult. There were a few times I thought I was going to have to throw the whole darn thing in the trash. : ) This was definatley not one of those pieces that just flew together with ease, LOL. That is why I was so happy with it in the end, I found the red roses quite a challenge to paint.

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

Wow Ruth they look lovely, you have done a fab job with them. I agree with Gail, red roses are much harder to paint.
Alicia ~ time worn style

A wildlife gardener said...

Just awesome...I love roses, and yours are so very beautiful, dear Ruth :)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Ruth, Those roses are so beautiful! Will the roses really bloom, oh, I cannot wait?! But, of course, with your paintings, you could see beautiful roses everyday. That is a very good thing! Beautiful work, Ruth.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, Ruth! ~ Lynda xox

Linda O'Neill said...

Beautiful Ruth! I love the deeper red colors in this one.

Archie and Melissa said...

Hi Ruth!
Your roses are amazing! I wish my garden looked like that!
Beautiful!
Melissa

Alice Regan said...

Once again...beautiful! You always so wonderfully capture the beauty of the roses!

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Ruth
You are right the hand mirror you saw on my blog is a Vintage Mosaic creation, it is lovely isn't it! I was thinking of you while painting my tricky red roses, glad it's not just me that has trouble, glad you didn't throw yours out the window, they turned out beautifully.

Catherine said...

Very beautiful!! You sure can't paint roses...they are as beautiful as real ones!! ~I wish the Roses in my garden were as beautiful as the ones you paint Ruth!! :D
Hope you are having a great week!!
Cat

Ruth Welter said...

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to visit..as always, it is appreciate.

roseroomnz.com said...

Beautiful painting, can't wait to see what you do with the next one. Rachael